- RTD offers competitive benefits and salaries and provides a comfortable, professional working environment that supports individual employee development. Our employees have the opportunity to make a positive impact in the community by providing for the present and future public-transit needs of the Denver/Boulder metro area. RTD has several facilities located in the Denver/Boulder metro area. At each of these facilities, our goal is to provide a safe, family-friendly and diverse workplace.
- Flextime scheduling is available in some non-shift RTD positions to accommodate employees' personal needs and preferences. With supervisor approval, employees may vary their starting and ending times as long as they work a full eight-hour day that encompasses the core hours from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- This program provides free, one-on-one, confidential counseling to RTD employees and family members. Professional counselors can help with family problems, marital conflict, emotional concerns, alcohol/drug problems, and legal/financial problems.
- Each year, RTD sponsors Take Our Children to Work Day to give children the opportunity to learn about careers in public transit. Children participate in tours and learning activities that lead to a better grasp of the world of work and the skills required to be employed.
- Twice a year, RTD presents an intensive two-day class to assist employees in preparing for their impending retirement. These seminars address topics such as budgeting, taxation, insurance, investments, Social Security, wills, and more.
- RTD employees have many opportunities to be recognized and rewarded for their work. Our recognition programs include Outstanding Achievement Awards (for outstanding performance above and beyond the normal expectation) and General Manager's Awards (in recognition of exceptional work throughout the year). These awards are presented annually. Service Awards for milestone years of service at RTD are recognized monthly. In addition, RTD employees can receive Dining Dollars from their managers as special recognition for exceptional behavior or a contribution above and beyond the scope of regular duties. Finally, RTD recognizes employees who have served our country in the armed services by hosting an annual Veteran's Day luncheon in their honor.
- Eligible employees may choose from five medical plan options offered through Kaiser Permanente or Cigna. Premiums are shared by RTD and the employee. Coverage is provided for employees and their eligible dependents.
- RTD employees have two dental plan options offered through Delta Dental of Colorado. Premiums are shared by RTD and the employee. Coverage is provided for employees and their eligible dependents.
- RTD offers an employee vision plan through Anthem Blue View Vision. Premiums are shared by RTD and the employee. Coverage is provided for employees and their eligible dependents.
- Eligible employees may make pre-tax contributions to a Medical Flexible Spending Account, with maximum contributions of $2,550 per year to receive reimbursement for out-of-pocket medical expenses for the employee and dependent family members. Unused contributions are forfeited at the end of the plan year, as required by IRS regulation.
- Eligible employees may make pre-tax contributions to a Dependent Daycare Spending Account, with maximum annual contributions of $5,000 (married filing jointly or filing single) or $2,500 (married filing single) to receive reimbursement for daycare expenses for children under age 13. Unused contributions are forfeited at the end of the plan year, as required by IRS regulation.
- Eligible employees receive 66.67% of basic monthly earnings after 30 days of continuous disability or after all accrued sick leave is used, whichever is longer. Payments may continue until the 90th day.
- Eligible employees receive 66.67% of basic monthly earnings to a maximum benefit of $10,000 per month after 90 days of continuous disability or after all accrued sick leave is used, whichever is longer.
- Under this plan, a qualified employee's beneficiary may receive the lesser of 1.5 times the employee's basic yearly earnings or $250,000. Additional coverage is provided in the event of accidental death or dismemberment.
- Under this plan, the beneficiary of an eligible employee who is traveling on company business (not to and from work) may receive a $50,000 death benefit.
- Under this plan, employees may purchase additional life insurance benefits. Premiums, paid by the employee, are based on the employee’s age and the amount of coverage.
- Employees become participants in this plan on their date of hire if they are at least 21 years of age. Employees are 100% vested after they have completed five years of continuous employment. RTD makes 100% of the contributions for this Plan.
- This plan, which is similar to a 401(k) plan, allows employees to save for retirement through salary reduction. Employees have the choice to contribute all or part of their contribution on either a pre-tax or after-tax (Roth) basis. Employees are eligible from their first day of employment at RTD.
- RTD issues a picture ID card that serves as a free transit pass to each employee. Each employee may also receive one additional transit pass for either his/her spouse or dependent.
- All RTD employees are eligible to use the services of Credit Union of Denver and Wells Fargo Bank. Both institutions offer a wide variety of accounts, loan products and services, and have branches throughout the metro area.
- RTD is an Equal Opportunity Employer and complies with all employment laws, including Affirmative Action and The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). RTD participates in a number of programs required by federal and/or state law, including:
- Family Medical Leave
- Social Security and Medicare
- Workers' Compensation
- Unemployment Insurance
Coverage is effective the first day of the month following 30 days of employment at RTD.
RTD intends that our compensation system aligns our investment in human capital with our strategic vision, attracts and strengthens our retention of an effective and skilled workforce, and motivates and rewards superior results.
Pay at RTD will:
- Consist of salary ranges determined by market data (external) and point factor analysis (internal). The objective of RTD is to set salary ranges that reflect the market value of each position, attract and retain the right talent to RTD, and recognize and reward results.
- Be competitive with the external labor market both public & private. Our competitors in the marketplace are other transit agencies and Denver-metro employers with similar business functions that can be identified as our direct competitors for labor. We consider all the ways we compensate employees so that “total compensation” (base pay plus benefits) is competitive at similar performance levels.
- Reward results. Individual pay decisions are based on an individual’s results and their current salary range.
- Be affordable. The District’s Board of Directors approves an annual budget that funds employee compensation.
Our goal is to insure that all RTD employees be equitably compensated for assigned duties and responsibilities without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, marital status, or sensory, physical or mental disability, veteran status, sexual orientation or any other basis of discrimination prohibited by local, state and federal law.
This salary administration program is applicable to all Regional Transportation District (RTD) non-represented employees. All RTD employees covered by this program may have access to their salary range and job description; however, requests for information about employee compensation should be referred to the Total Rewards Manager. RTD reserves the right to change or alter this salary administration program at any time.
Paid time off (PTO) provides employees with paid time away from work that may be used for vacation, personal time, personal illness or time off to care for dependents. PTO must be scheduled in advance and have supervisory approval, except in the case of illness or emergency. For employees hired after 1/1/2012 and current employees that converted to PTO, the PTO policy takes the place of the previous sick and vacation plan.
PTO is earned on a bi-weekly basis and credited to an employee’s PTO bank two times per month. Eligibility to earn PTO is contingent on an employee having worked or utilized PTO during the pay period. PTO is not earned for pay periods when unpaid leave is taken or short or long term disability benefits are paid. PTO is not earned by temporary or contract employees.
Years of Service Days per Year Hours per Month Annual Accrual 0 to 2 years 20 13.33 160 3 to 5 years 22 14.33 176 6 to 9 years 26 17.33 208 10 to 14 years 28 18.33 224 15 to 19 years 30 20.00 240 20 or more years 32 21.33 256
PTO should be scheduled as early as possibly in advance, according to department policy, and have supervisory approval, except in the case of illness or emergency. PTO taken in excess of the amount accrued will be without pay. If a former RTD employee is rehired within one year (365 days) of the original termination date, his or her PTO accrual rate will be calculated based on the total number of years of service including the previous employment period. Employees may carry over a maximum of two times their annual accrual each January 1st.
An extended illness bank is available for employees that are out ill more than three consecutive days. Once the three days have passed, with a doctor’s note, the employee will then begin using time from their Extended Illness Bank (EIB). Once the EIB has been exhausted the absences will again be counted as PTO. The maximum accrual in the EIB is 520 hours and EIB is not paid out at termination.
If an illness causes a staff member to be absent in excess of three consecutive days, a doctor’s release may be required before the staff member may return to work. This certificate should be submitted to the staff member’s supervisor and then forwarded to the Human Resources department.
Days per year Hours per month Annual Accrual 4 days 2.66 hours 32 hours
- As part of our policy of providing time off from work to spend with family and friends, RTD offers the following paid holidays: New Year's Day, Martin Luther King Day, President's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, Day After Thanksgiving, Christmas Day, and 3 floating holidays (1 to 10 years of service = 3 floating holidays per year (if hired by June 30th) and 10+ years of service = 4 floating holidays per year).
- Because it is important to be with family during difficult times, RTD offers employees up to three days of paid bereavement leave. The bereavement leave may be taken due to the death of an immediate family member, or a legal/contractual member of the employee's immediate family, or an individual who resides with the employee.
RTD's Education & Development Office offers the following programs that allow employees to receive proactive education, training, career development and guidance:
- RTD offers a tuition reimbursement program for employees who wish to improve their professional skills through continuing education. Employees can use the funding for course work, conferences, seminars or other development activities that improve the employee's skills or enhance his/her future contributions to RTD.
- Employees can attend conferences and receive training specific to their jobs (including instruction required to maintain state licensing as prescribed by an employee's job description) through Job-Required Training. This training is provided by and/or paid by RTD.
- RTD employees may be reimbursed fully or partially for memberships in several professional organizations that support a variety of transit- and business-related activities.
- RTD's Meet the Challenge training series provides new supervisors and managers with basic skill training. Topics include the DOT Drug and Alcohol Program, ADA, Workers' Compensation, Sexual Harassment and other employment law topics. Continuing to Meet the Challenge is refresher training designed to help managers and supervisors keep their knowledge current.
- DIRECT (Diversity, Respect and Effective Communication In Transit)
This training series is designed to enhance employee knowledge and awareness of RTD policies, procedures and benefits. RTD also offers workshops that give employees the opportunity to enhance their work communication and productivity skills, including Spanish language lessons, customer service, writing skills, cultural awareness/EEO, and more.
- Two or three computer software classes are provided by RTD each month at our Computer Learning Lab.
- A variety of services - including career counseling, interviewing practice, resume assistance, career aptitude assessment and career self-assessments - are provided to RTD employees by the Education & Development Office staff.
- RTD gives current employees priority consideration for advancement within RTD. All open positions are posted on department bulletin boards at all RTD locations for a one-week period.
- RTD's Resource Center provides a wealth of information about health, behavior, personal development and more. Employees can check out books, videotapes, audio cassettes, magazines and manuals on topics such as time management, self-esteem and peak performance, goal setting, memory improvement, and many others.
As part of RTD's focus on personal development, we provide fitness centers containing equipment that provides a comprehensive approach to improving muscular and cardiovascular health. Specialized personal wellness services available include personal workout plans, designed nutrition programs, disease management, smoking cessation and weight loss plans.
- RTD's Wellness Rehabilitation program provides employees the opportunity to participate in the many wellness activities offered which encourage positive healthy lifestyle changes to improve personal health and wellness. Employees are provided educational materials, an informational Wellness website, health presentations and specialized personal services that combine for a complete health and wellness approach in these areas: injury prevention, rehabilitation, stress management, fitness/rehabilitation, disease management, nutrition, health screenings, weight management and recreational activities.
- Once a year, RTD hosts a Health Fair at each facility where employees can pick up information on health topics such as nutrition, heart health, diabetes, vision and more. In addition, the RTD Wellness staff is on hand to perform health screenings, including blood pressure, cholesterol, glucose and body composition.
- RTD provides bicycles and bike helmets at each RTD facility as a fitness alternative for employee use on work breaks and lunch hours.
- A fully equipped rehabilitation facility is available for RTD employees who experience an on-the-job injury. Our Rehabilitation Services and Workers' Compensation Office coordinate with the physician on a prescribed therapy regimen and provides supervised physical and exercise therapy.