Southeast Rail Extension facts
- Length (miles): 2.3
- Vehicle Type: Light Rail
- Stations: 3
- Parking: 1,300 new spaces
- Frequency of Service: 5 min (peak) / 6 min (off-peak)
Southeast Rail Extension at a glance
- The Southeast Rail Extension is part of RTD’s 2004 voter-approved FasTracks plan to expand transit across the Denver metro region.
- The extension will expand the Southeast Rail Line 2.3 miles from Lincoln Station to RidgeGate Parkway in Lone Tree.
- The expansion encompasses three new stations: a Kiss-n-Ride at Sky Ridge Avenue near Sky Ridge Medical Center; one at the future Lone Tree City Center; and a 2,000-slot Park-n-Ride at RidgeGate Parkway.
- The project has completed the Environmental Assessment (EA) needed to qualify for the Federal Transit Administration's (FTA) New Starts grant funding.
- In July 2014, the RTD Board authorized a $207 million extension of the existing Southeast Light Rail Line farther south into Lone Tree. This action keeps the extension in the pipeline to receive a potential federal grant from the FTA.
- Stakeholders in the southeast have committed to contributing $35 million to $40 million in cash, right-of-way and other items to get the light rail extension project completed.
- 2008: RTD FasTracks conducted an Environmental Evaluation (EE) to determine ideal alignment, station locations, potential environmental impacts and a companion mitigation plan.
- 2010: Final EE and 30 percent of basic engineering completed.
- 2011: Project team began an EA based on the EE to pursue federal funding.
- 2012: Team begins New Starts application process. RTD engineering begins work on advanced basic engineering and coordination of the project scope with stakeholders.
- 2013: Project accepted into the FTA's New Starts grant development phase and RTD FasTracks will submit additional information for further review over the next two to three years.
- 2014: The FTA signed the Finding of No Significant Impact, which concludes the EA undertaken to fulfill the requirements of the National Environmental Policy Act, a requirement for eligibility for federal funding.
Southeast Rail Extension map
Updated March 2018