This Policy defines the activities that RTD expressly permits and prohibits at our facilities, along with the requirements for a use permit, vendor license or lease.
"RTD Facilities," as used in this Policy, means any real property owned or controlled by RTD, including the airspace above such property, to the extent of RTD's rights therein, and accessible to the public, including but not limited to transit centers, bus and light rail stations and Park-n-Rides.
"RTD Facilities," as used in this Policy, does not include the following:
- Commercial space on RTD property that is normally subject to a lease or permanent
or semi-permanent use agreement is between RTD and the lessee or licensee;
- Newsracks are subject to RTD's separate Newsrack Policy; and
- Space normally reserved for paid advertising is subject to RTD's Advertising Policy.
Permitted activities at RTD facilities
RTD representatives shall not prohibit expressive activity on or in RTD facilities, subject to reasonable time, place and manner restrictions that protect the public health or safety or that concern the provision of transit service, the flow of traffic on or in RTD Facilities or that interferes with the safe and efficient operation of RTD facilities.
The following activities are permitted at RTD facilities excluding the interior spaces of Market Street Station, Civic Center Station, Boulder Terminal and train platforms, subject to the requirements for any RTD-issued use permit or vendor license, if required, and provided that such activities do not interfere or impede transit activities or otherwise involve prohibited behavior:
- Public speaking, demonstrations, picketing, campaigning, leafleting, petitioning or distribution of written, non-Commercial or promotional materials;
- Artistic performances;
- Solicitation for religious, social or political causes
Any person using RTD facilities for non-transit activities permitted pursuant to this Policy does so at his or her own risk and RTD assumes no liability by issuance of this Policy.
Prohibited behavior at RTD facilities
- No person shall perform any act that interferes with or may tend to interfere with the provision of transit service, obstructs or may tend to obstruct the flow of traffic on or in RTD facilities or interferes with or may tend to interfere with the safe and efficient operation of RTD facilities. Such behavior includes, but is not limited to, amplified sound that interferes with announcements or is otherwise disruptive to transit activities.
- No person shall violate local, state or federal laws, rules, regulations or ordinances, including but not limited to Theft of Public Transportation Services, C.R.S. § 18-4- 802; Hindering Transportation, C.R.S. § 18-9-114; Endangering Public Transportation, C.R.S. § 18-9-115; and Throwing Missiles at Vehicles, C.R.S. § 18- 9-116. Such prohibited behavior includes conduct that causes physical harm, jeopardizes public or individual safety, or creates a reasonable apprehension of imminent physical harm.
- No person shall restrict reasonable access to or from RTD facilities, including but not limited to elevators, escalators, stairways, doorways, walkways, windows, wheelchair high blocks, ramps, bus stops, ticket vending machines, ticket counters, light rail platforms, and transit vehicle interior space.
- No person shall engage in activities that require a use permit or vendor license, as specified in this Policy, without such permit or license.
- No person shall solicit from transit passengers who are not reasonably free to leave, e.g. while waiting at a bus stop or light rail station or waiting in line to purchase transit passes.
- No person shall bring alcoholic beverages on or in RTD facilities, except as specifically allowed by RTD.
- No person shall damage or permanently alter RTD property; no ropes shall be anchored to any elevated surface; and no stakes shall be driven into the surface of RTD property or any appurtenance thereto.
- Any and all materials, including equipment, trash, and recycling, that are brought onto RTD property by any person shall be removed upon such person's departure.
- No person shall falsely misrepresent himself or herself, through words, signs, leaflets, attire or otherwise, as an agent, employee, affiliate, or representative of RTD.
- No person shall interfere with any construction, renovation or maintenance being performed on or in RTD Facilities. All persons shall obey any directions or signage prohibiting access to certain areas due to construction, renovation or maintenance.
- No person shall post or adhere any sign, poster, notice, advertisement, leaflet or written matter to any RTD facilities without the express written permission of RTD.
- No person shall post or leave any leaflet, paper, or written material on vehicles parked on or at RTD facilities.
- No person shall engage in activity that is obscene, defamatory, or consists of fighting words or specific threats of serious bodily injury. No person shall incite imminent lawless action.
- No person shall engage in commercial activity, public speaking, demonstrations,
picketing, campaigning, leafleting, petitioning or distribution of written, noncommercial
materials, artistic performances, and solicitation for religious, social or
political causes, or other organized activity in the interior spaces of Market Street
Station, Civic Center Station or Boulder Terminal.
- On light rail platforms, no person shall engage in organized activity utilizing any equipment placed on the ground, such as tables, chairs, boxes, or coolers, or involving more than two people.
A use permit is required for daily use of RTD facilities for non-commercial activities at RTD transit centers, Park-n-Rides, light rail stations (not platforms), bus stops and Denver Union Station, if the activity involves one of the following:
- The activity is directed at broad public participation that reasonably could involve a gathering of more than 5 people at any one time; or
- The activity requires any equipment be placed on the ground, such as tables, chairs, boxes, or coolers; or
- The activity is a private gathering that reasonably anticipates more than 5 people in attendance.
Use permits are not available for the interior spaces at Market Street Station, Civic Center Station and Boulder Terminal.
Use permits are issued by RTD's Property Management Office and are granted on a firstcome, first-served basis according to availability and the operational requirements of the property.
Procedure to obtain a daily use permit
To obtain a daily use permit please fill this form:
The form is also available at RTD's Blake Street office and from RTD's Real Property group. The entity or individual requesting a daily use permit must submit this form to RTD Real Property Management by mail to 1560 Broadway, Suite 650, Denver CO 80202, or by fax to 303.299.2116. Failure to complete the form may result in refusal to issue a permit. The completed form must be submitted at least 15 business days before the date of the activity that is the subject of the permit requested.Questions regarding use permits should be directed to RTD Property Management at 303.299.2440.
Any use permit issued by RTD will not be denied based on the content of the activity or expression but may be subject to reasonable time, place and manner restrictions as follows:
- RTD's Real Property Manager, RTD's General Counsel's office and RTD's Safety, Security and Facilities department, RTD's Bus or Rail Operations, and RTD's Assistant General Manager for Planning and Development must approve the permit.
- The permittee must agree to indemnify and hold RTD harmless from and against all actions, demands, claims, costs or losses, including but not limited to allegations of negligence against RTD, for injury to persons and/or property arising out of or resulting from the use of RTD premises by the permittee, its employees, agents, invitees and/or licensees.
- The permittee must obtain and demonstrate to RTD proof of liability insurance in the amount of at least $1,000,000 per occurrence, covering at a minimum its obligations stated in this Policy.
- The permittee must agree not to engage in any of the behavior prohibited at RTD facilities, as stated in this Policy.
- When the activities allowed by the use permit have concluded, the permittee must clean up and remove all trash and other equipment from the premises.
- The permittee must maintain RTD facilities in good condition and repair any damage or destruction of property.
- The permit also may contain other reasonable time, place and manner restrictions specific to the activities involved.
- A venue fee will be required if food or drinks are served. A deposit will be required if it is reasonably anticipated that the planned activities may require additional cleaning services by RTD.
- A permit will be only for those activities and for the time period specifically stated in the permit.
- RTD may revoke any permit if the activities performed at RTD facilities violate the activities specifically prohibited by this Policy, pose a danger to public safety, or unreasonably interfere with RTD operations.
- Use permits are non-transferable.
Appeal of a Denial of a Request for a Daily Use PermitAny appeal or protest of a decision to deny a request for a daily use permit shall be made within two business days, in writing, stating "Appeal/Protest of Denial for Use Permit, Attn: Real Property Manager" or by fax at 303.299.2116. RTD's Real Property Manager shall have the sole authority to interpret and apply this Policy and procedure.
Vendor licenses, multi-day and special events
RTD's Property Management Office also handles requests for vendor licenses, multi-day, ongoing, or recurring use of RTD Facilities and other special events. Any inquiries for vendor licenses or special events should contact RTD's Property Management Office at 303.299.2440 or by fax at 303.299.2116.
A vendor license is required for any commercial activity. Commercial activity includes (1)
the advertising, display, sale, lease, offer for sale or lease, or distribution of food, goods,
services or entertainment and (2) the solicitation of money or payment for food, goods,
services or entertainment.
In addition, certain areas of Denver Union Station and other property owned by RTD may be available for special events. Multi-day, ongoing, or recurring use of RTD Facilities and other special events involving an entire venue require a specific license, lease or other written agreement with RTD.