December 2014: Phil Challis
Each month, RTD encourages passengers to nominate a bus driver or light rail operator who goes above and beyond to make their experience memorable. This month, RTD recognizes Route 20 driver, Phil Challis, who was nominated by passenger Alison Williams Helm for his positive attitude and great customer service. Phil drives the 20 from the National Renewable Energy Lab to University of Colorado Hospital.
" I wish I knew the driver’s name because he is such a great guy. He consistently goes out of his way to help passengers find their destination, navigate the bus, or just generally visit with people he sees every day. I suppose you could say he is just doing his job, but I feel like he generally likes people and it shows. He goes above and beyond the call of duty to make people’s day – being helpful and cheerful. Keep up the good work, what an asset to RTD! "
After receiving the commendation from Alison, we wanted to know more about Phil, and he graciously agreed to answer a few of our questions.
- How long have you worked for RTD and have you always been a bus driver?
- For the first 10 years at RTD I worked in maintenance as a bus shelter cleaner. Then I saw an opportunity and became a bus operator and I’ve been driving for 15 years.
- What were you in a previous life?
- I was part of the janitorial staff at Arapahoe County.
- What do you like best about your job?
- I enjoy meeting people.
- If you could listen to music while working, what type?
- Classical rock-n-roll
- If you could deck out your bus, what style?
- Something that would represent the cool style of Harley Davidson
- If you could change your uniform color, what color or does brown/gray go with your eyes?
- The uniform is fine.
- What type of service would you drive if given the choice and/or favorite service to drive or operate?
- Mountain routes, I really enjoy the scenery.
- What are your favorite hobbies or activities?
- Golf, fishing, camping and motorcycle riding
Nominate an operator of the month
Do you have a favorite RTD bus or light rail operator? Nominate them for our next Operator of the Month Award!