October 2014: Rosario Loya
Each month, RTD encourages passengers to nominate a bus driver or light rail operator who goes above and beyond to make their experience memorable. This month, RTD recognizes Route 121 driver, Rosario Loya, who was nominated by passenger Robert Wiley for his compassion and commitment to his passengers. Rosario drives the 121 from Ulster & Tufts to the Montbello Park-n-Ride
" When the 121 heading towards the DTC pulled into Nine Mile, a mobility impaired passenger disembarked. After I boarded the bus, it began to round the loop to pull out. As we made it to the other side of the loop, the bus driver noticed that the mobility impaired passenger that had previously exited his bus had fallen to his knees in his rush to get to his next bus and was having difficulty getting back up. The driver immediately pulled over and rushed to help the man. He made sure the man’s bus didn’t leave without him and even had it pull around the loop for the man to board. The bus driver went above and beyond the call of duty in his dedication to ensuring his passengers reach their intended destination safely. It was an inspiring display of compassion and commitment I’ve seen from RTD over the years. Please let the driver know his work and acts are greatly appreciated. Thanks! "
After receiving the commendation from Robert, we wanted to know more about Rosario, and he graciously agreed to answer a few of our questions.
- How long have you worked for RTD and have you always been a bus driver?
- I’ve been a bus driver with RTD for 7 years and 3 months.
- What were you in a previous life?
- Previous life . . . hmmmm I don’t know.
- What do you like best about your job?
- I enjoy meeting different people.
- If you could listen to music while working, what type?
- I would listen to old school music.
- If you could deck out your bus, what style?
- I would put big wheels like a monster truck with lots of lights.
- If you could change your uniform color, what color or does brown/gray go with your eyes?
- The color of our uniform is good, I wouldn’t change it.
- What type of service would you drive if given the choice and/or favorite service to drive or operate?
- I really like driving SkyRide routes.
- What are your favorite hobbies or activities?
- I love working on cars – being a car mechanic.
Nominate an operator of the month
Do you have a favorite RTD bus or light rail operator? Nominate them for our next Operator of the Month Award!