February 2015: Katie Settle
Each month, RTD encourages passengers to nominate a bus driver or light rail operator who goes above and beyond to make their experience memorable. This month, RTD recognizes Green Mountain Call-n-Ride driver, Katie Settle, who was nominated by passengers Anna Wilson and Linda Walczyk for her exceptional customer service and stellar driving skills.
“ I want to let you know that Katie, on the Green Mountain flex route at the Federal Center, has been a stellar driver. She knows her regular passengers and when their trains or buses arrive she doesn’t leave without them. She waits for trains to arrive at the Federal Center Station before departing for the Federal Center, and she knows which buildings her passengers get off at so no one has to pull the chain for the jarring bell. In the afternoon, she knows which passengers are in a hurry to make a train or bus connection, and which ones are more relaxed. A couple of our regular passengers are sight impaired – Katie has been known to get off the bus, meet them at their connecting ride and guide them to her bus. Katie is one of the most helpful and upbeat drivers ever. We just heard that she is being transferred to another route. We will miss her. The new driver is going to be hard pressed to live up to the standards she has set. We’d like to have her back on our route. ”
“ I would like to express my appreciation to Katie, the driver whose last day on the Green Mountain Call-n-Ride to the Federal Center. She is an excellent driver and she will be missed. She was kind enough to wait three minutes to make sure I was on the 5:56 a.m. train. I wish her the best of luck on her new route, but I sure wish she could have stayed on the Federal Center route. ”
After receiving the commendation from Anna and Linda, we wanted to know more about Katie, and she graciously agreed to answer a few of our questions.
- How long have you worked for RTD and have you always been a bus driver?
- I’ve been with RTD since March 2014, before this I was a professional blood sucker.
- What were you in a previous life?
- Facebook tells me I was James Deans’ girlfriend, but before that, I’m pretty sure I was a vampire.
- What do you like best about your job?
- I really enjoy meeting people.
- If you could listen to music while working, what type?
- You can never go wrong with good old classic rock!!
- If you could deck out your bus, what style?
- Totally 60’s psychedelic with rainbows and smiley faces! Either that or tribal flames with sculls.
- If you could change your uniform color, what color or does brown/gray go with your eyes?
- I’d go with light purple polo shirts with black pants if I had my choice!
- What type of service would you drive if given the choice and/or favorite service to drive or operate?
- I love driving the Call-n-Ride. The only other thing I’d do if I could would be to drive for celebrities, maybe Sam Elliott!
- What are your favorite hobbies or activities?
- Causing havoc and chaos wherever I go, keeps me entertained and everyone else on their toes! Bwahahahahaaaa!
Nominate an operator of the month
Do you have a favorite RTD bus or light rail operator? Nominate them for our next Operator of the Month Award!