May 2013: Shawn Crowe
Each month, RTD encourages passengers to nominate a bus driver or light rail operator who goes above and beyond to make their experience memorable. This month’s winning nomination goes to Route AF bus driver, Shawn Crowe. The AF is a SkyRide route that travels from downtown Denver to DIA.
His nomination was submitted by Hannah Donaldson, who was impressed with Shawn’s friendliness and dedication to his passengers.
" I wanted to email you to commend your driver Shawn, who helped me from Denver International Airport to downtown Denver after I arrived in the U.S. I had just got off a flight from Scotland and it was my first time in the U.S., and I was rather jetlagged. Shawn was fantastic in telling me where we were going, and as we drove along, he told me about Denver, and he also said if I was tired not to worry about falling asleep he would wake me up at my stop. I managed to stay awake as he pointed out Coors Field, and when we stopped at Auraria Parkway, he pointed me in the direction of my hotel, and even told me where to get the return bus while giving me a timetable to get back to the airport. I admit my biggest worry about visiting the U.S. was ensuring I got on the correct bus and got off at the correct stop but Shawn completely put me at ease and I’m very thankful to him for this. Needless to say my trip to Denver went without a hitch, and my bus trip back to the airport was also smooth, thanks to Shawn’s advice. Please pass my thanks onto him, and I hope to visit Denver again soon, and will certainly use the RTD service again the next time I’m in the U.S. "
After receiving the commendation from Hannah, we wanted to know more about Shawn and he graciously agreed to answer a few of our questions.
- How long have you worked for RTD and have you always been a Bus Driver?
- My only position with RTD has been a bus operator. I’ve driven for 14 years.
- What were you in a previous life?
- A stagecoach driver, chariot driver and foreman on a pyramid construction crew.
- What do you like best about your job?
- I like the personal contact with my passengers. I try to treat each one as a person with individual needs and if I can, I will go the “extra mile” for them.
- If you could listen to music while working, what type?
- While driving I'd like a mind numbing rock & roll version of "The wheels on the bus go round and round".
- If you could deck out your train, what style?
- Something abstract and Picasso on a good day.
- If you could change your uniform color, what color or does brown/gray go with your eyes?
- Charcoal and ebony. Ebony matches my pupil.
- What type of service would you drive if given the choice and/or favorite service to drive or operate?
- I like SkyRide routes. I get a good mix of regulars and new passengers.
- What are your favorite hobbies or activities?
- Going up to the mountains, hiking and four wheeling.
Nominate an operator of the month
Do you have a favorite RTD bus or light rail operator? Nominate them for our next Operator of the Month Award!