April 2015: Alunda Riggins
This month, RTD recognizes Route 121 driver, Alunda Riggins, who was nominated by passenger Reginald Hart for her professionalism and kindness. Alunda drives the 121 from the DTC Transfer Center at Ulster Street and Tufts Avenue to the Montbello Park-n-Ride.
“ I am writing to commend Alunda Riggins for being a fantastic representative of RTD. Alunda proved to be the best driver I’ve ridden with, ever! She is the consummate professional when it comes to driving, and she handles problems with skill and authority. Most of all, she shows the utmost kindness to her passengers. She radiates joy and engages even less-pleasant passengers with respect. She truly has a love for people and it shows in everything she does. Since she left route 121, it just has not been the same. Please let Miss Riggins know that she is appreciated, and I hope she is rewarded for her contribution to the community. ”
After receiving the commendation from Reginald, we wanted to know more about Alunda and she graciously agreed to answer a few of our questions.
- How long have you worked for RTD and have you always been a bus driver?
- This is my 19th year with RTD. I drove part-time for the first five years while my boys were still little. Then I went full-time as a driver. I also spent five years as a light rail operator.
- What were you in a previous life?
- I was a nurse assistant before I started my driving career. I worked at many different nursing homes in the Denver/Aurora area.
- What do you like best about your job?
- I really enjoy meeting and talking to new people on my bus. I kind of feel like a bartender or therapist sometimes, LOL, it’s funny how a stranger will board my bus and just start talking and sharing some very personal details in their lives. And some days, the best part about driving is pulling my bus safely back into the garage at the end of a very long day!
- If you could listen to music while working, what type?
- I’m not sure I could pick one type but I really love Michael Jackson. Everybody loves MJ!
- If you could deck out your bus, what style?
- Let’s stick with a MJ theme. Everybody would love my bus!
- If you could change your uniform color, what color or does brown/gray go with your eyes?
- I like our new black uniforms. It’s really nice to say good bye to the brown! LOL
- What type of service would you drive if given the choice and/or favorite service to drive or operate?
- I don’t really have a preference, but the type of service I don’t like are the airport routes. I definitely think guys are better suited for those routes. I’m just not good at lifting heavy luggage.
- What are your favorite hobbies or activities?
- I don’t really have many hobbies, but I do enjoy just hanging out with friends and family!
Nominate an operator of the month
Do you have a favorite RTD bus or light rail operator? Nominate them for our next Operator of the Month Award!