July 2014: Cliff Alps
Each month, RTD encourages passengers to nominate a bus driver or light rail operator who goes above and beyond to make their experience memorable. This month, RTD recognizes Route AB driver, Cliff Alps, who was nominated by passenger Emily Johnson for his kindness and excellent customer service. Cliff drives the AB from the Boulder Transit Center to Denver International Airport.
" I just wanted to say how much I appreciated the kindness, hard-work and consideration of RTD bus driver, Cliff. As a newcomer to the Denver/Boulder area, it was my first time using the RTD service and I was very unfamiliar with the routes, stop locations, and time tables. I road Cliff’s bus from DIA to Broadway and 27th Way in Boulder – he was helpful and informative. What was truly amazing about his service was on my return back to the airport; I waited at the same Broadway and 27th Way bus stop to take the 4:26 a.m. SkyRide bus. However, I was on the wrong side of the street and missed the 4:29 a.m. and 5:24 a.m. buses. By this point I was freezing and had missed my 7:00 a.m. flight! While still waiting, Cliff who was driving a different route (BMX) to Denver recognized me from my original trip to Boulder and stopped to inquire if I was okay. He was very kind and after feeling so lost and upset, he really made me feel better – he had me get onto his bus and once in Denver guided me to the correct bus to the airport. He really made my day and improved what might have been a negative experience. I was in Boulder for a job interview, and I’m happy to say I got the job! I hope to see Cliff again and have many more pleasant experiences with the RTD. Thank you!! "
After receiving the commendation from Emily, we wanted to know more about Cliff and he graciously agreed to answer a few of our questions.
- How long have you worked for RTD and have you always been a bus driver?
- I’ve been with RTD for 16 years, and yes I’ve always been a bus driver.
- What were you in a previous life?
- A cowboy, grew up on a ranch north of Boulder – the Elk Mountain Ranch off of US 36.
- What do you like best about driving?
- I think it’s very relaxing, no high stress, and I like meeting people.
- If you could listen to music while working, what type?
- I would listen to country western but I like all kinds of music.
- If you could deck out your bus, what style?
- Just like a sports car – sleek, dark brown with chrome rims.
- If you could change your uniform color, what color or does brown/gray go with your eyes?
- Brown is fine because it goes with my eyes.
- What type of service would you drive if given the choice and/or favorite service to drive or operate?
- I like distance driving, the further the better – any SkyRide service.
- What are your favorite hobbies or activities?
- I like riding horses and chancing cows.
Nominate an operator of the month
Do you have a favorite RTD bus or light rail operator? Nominate them for our next Operator of the Month Award!