At RTD, we’re committed to the highest standards in public transit. From bus and rail, to the Free MallRide, Free MetroRide and specialty services, providing our customers with the best-possible service is our priority. Each month we highlight an operator of bus or train for their exceptional customer service. This month we would like to feature bus driver Terri Sims.
Aurora Police Department said:“Terri Sims (RTD bus driver) was operating bus #6104 and was stopped at the bus stop located at S. Havana Street and E. Virginia Avenue, traveling southbound. During this stop, Terri observed a motorcycle/automobile crash that happened in the northbound lanes of S Havana Street and just north of E. Virginia Avenue. Terri, being aware of the video equipment on her bus, remained at this bus stop and recorded the entire crash and aftermath. Terri then reported this to her supervisor who in turn contacted the Aurora Police Department Traffic Division. We obtained the video and discovered this evidence was extremely important. The Aurora Police Traffic Accident Reconstruction Team was able to see the movement of the vehicle that made the left turn into traffic causing this crash with the motorcycle. The traffic investigators also used the video to calculate the speed of the motorcycle, before impact, which was in excess of 80 mph. This case was filed as a vehicular homicide and with the help from the RTD video and Terri Sims, the evidence is undisputable. Because of the actions of Terri Sims, the detective was able to file this most difficult case with the Arapahoe County District Attorney’s Office. The Aurora Police Department thanks her for a job well done.”
After receiving the commendations, we wanted to know more about Terri, and she graciously agreed to answer a few of our questions.
- How long have you worked for RTD?
- I’ve worked for RTD for seven years and seven months. No, I have not always been a bus driver. Prior to coming to RTD I have always driven people to various states within the United States.
- What were you in a previous life?
- A single mother with three children.
- What do you like best about your job?
- Driving from place to place.
- If you could listen to music while working, what type?
- A variety of music such as gospel, R&B, pop, rock and roll, etc.
- If you could deck out your bus, what style?
- A Prevost bus (the ultimate driving experience) with brilliant purple paint job and all the bells and whistles.
- If you could change your uniform color, what color or does brown/gray go with your eyes?
- Light blue shirts and dark blue pants.
- What type of service would you drive if given the choice and/or favorite service to drive?
- RTD’s SkyRide would be my choice.
- What are your favorite hobbies or activities?
- Dancing, singing, planning events, bowling, playing video games, playing cards, assembling things, working in the yard, baking and decorating cakes, to name a few.
Let us know how we’re doing. Give us a compliment, suggestion, or ask us a question by completing a customer comment form.