August 2014: Colleen Edin
Each month, RTD encourages passengers to nominate a bus driver or light rail operator who goes above and beyond to make their experience memorable. This month, RTD recognizes Route 116X driver, Colleen Edin, who was nominated by passenger Carolyn Kelley for her great customer service. Colleen drives the 116X from Ken Caryl/C-470 to Civic Center Station.
" I would like to thank Colleen for her great customer service. It is so rare to find GREAT customer service today. People have forgotten what it means to be empathetic to a customer’s situation. I’ve been riding with RTD for 21 years and it has always been a small fear that I would get on the wrong bus. Here is what happened to me. I was in a rush to get home, saw what I thought was my bus at my normal gate and jumped on. As usual I began to read my book. About 10 minutes into my ride I noticed a turn that was not normal for my bus route. I looked up and found myself going in the wrong direction and nowhere to stop and get back to Civic Center easily. I decided to ask another passenger where the bus was headed. I thought I could get off near a major intersection and take another bus back to Denver but to no avail, and this bus went all the way to Ken Caryl. As the bus got emptier I went to the driver and explained my situation, and she was so kind. She finished her route and told me she was going back to Denver and would make sure I got to Civic Center. She would not leave me stranded so far from my original destination which was Wagon Road in Westminster. I’m so very grateful for her kindness. Thank you Colleen my RTD guardian angel. "
After receiving the commendation from Carolyn we wanted to know more about Colleen and she graciously agreed to answer a few of our questions.
- How long have you worked for RTD and have you always been a bus driver?
- I’ve been a driver for 16 years, and it’s the only driving position I’ve had so far.
- What were you in a previous life?
- Did I have a previous life? It feels like I’ve been doing this forever. If given the choice, I’d be a cat so I could eat and sleep all day.
- What do you like best about driving?
- I’ve always loved driving and I’m a people person so I love to meet new people.
- If you could listen to music while working, what type?
- I really like jazz, country, big band, and oldies 70’s and 80’s music from old musicals. It’s probably easier to say what I wouldn’t listen to – RAP!
- If you could deck out your bus, what style?
- Victorian with lots and lots of flowers.
- If you could change your uniform color, what color or does brown/gray go with your eyes?
- Royal blue, purple and silver or gray.
- What type of service would you drive if given the choice and/or favorite service to drive or operate?
- I love the free buses especially the new Free MetroRide buses or BroncoRide.
- What are your favorite hobbies or activities?
- I love to sleep and if I have time to read or work in the garden, and sew.
Nominate an operator of the month
Do you have a favorite RTD bus or light rail operator? Nominate them for our next Operator of the Month Award!