Donald "DW" Washington
This month, RTD recognizes Route 6 driver, Donald “DW” Washington, who has received numerous nominations. The nominations featured are from passengers Kya Schuyler, Sharlene Woodruff, and Kaylan Maliwat for his exceptional customer service. DW drives the 6 from 106th/Melody to the Centrepoint & Sable Transfer Center.
“I just had the best bus ride of my life. As soon as the bus pulled up I was greeted by and extremely friendly bus driver. He asked how I was and made me feel comfortable and laugh. He was extremely polite and told me what a beautiful smile I had and how polite I was. The entire ride he has people laughing and he was saying awesome and inspiring things. I have been riding this route for +3 years and this was the first time I have had an incredible experience like this. He was so friendly to each and every passenger. I was smiling the entire ride. Before I got off the bus I asked the driver, Donald Washington, his name so that I could write about him. We sat there for probably 10 minutes just talking and connecting before I had to go. It was so nice to actually have a friendly and caring bus driver and I am so appreciative of him, I wish I could change my schedule so that I could ride his bus every day! Thank you DW!”
“OMG! Donald Washington was the most fabulous bus driver I've had the pleasure of riding with ever! He greeted each and every passenger with fun and sunshine, they all had to smile! (Something I believe can uplift and enhance anyone's day). He rattled off cute tales of safety procedures, connecting lines of travel...he's just the bomb!!! Donald Washington should be publicly recognized as one of RTD's finest! Thanks, Happy RTD traveler!”
“The driver,DW was friendly and in a good mood from the moment I got onto the bus to the time I got off. I ride 7 days a week and have been on a multitude of buses with different drivers and I can honestly say that he was by far my favorite driver that I've encountered.”
After receiving the commendations, we wanted to know more about DW and he graciously agreed to answer a few of our questions.
- How long have you worked for RTD and have you always been a bus driver?
- I started driving RTD buses on August 21, 2013 but I drove buses for 12 ½ years in Los Angeles.
- What were you in a previous life?
- A hamburger helper, singer, poet, and teddy bear!
- What do you like best about your job?
- I really enjoy working with the public, meeting new people and driving the bus.
- If you could listen to music while working, what type?
- Love songs, R & B – Motown years, REAL old school music.
- If you could deck out your bus, what style?
- The bus would be black on black with tinted windows and gold trim; and still be a happy bus.
- If you could change your uniform color, what color or does brown/gray go with your eyes?
- Black and gold are my colors.
- What type of service would you drive if given the choice and/or favorite service to drive or operate?
- Luxury RTD charter buses with cable and movies for long all day trips.
- What are your favorite hobbies or activities?
- Singing, photography, poetry, writing song lyrics, music and movies, love some old style martial arts, reading, hanging with fun and sweet women, and talking too. Table tennis, air hockey, volleyball, and lots of outdoor fun things like biking.