November 2014: David Miles
Each month, RTD encourages passengers to nominate a bus driver or light rail operator who goes above and beyond to make their experience memorable. This month, Route 83L driver, David Miles, who was nominated by passenger Ada Montano for his upbeat attitude and exceptional customer service. David drives the 83L from Civic Center Station to Nine Mile Station.
" It was a terrible day for riding the 83L. The bus was late, and I had to wait before the 83L arrived at Civic Center Plaza. Due to heavy rain and the Cherry Creek road construction, it took almost an extra hour to get home. Everyone on the bus was frustrated, and tired. The bus driver was excellent. He apologized, kept things light, and was very upbeat, courteous and understanding. When I got off the bus I was smiling and not even upset that it was after 7:00 p.m. He did an outstanding job! I hope you can figure out who he was because he deserves a lot of credit for making the best of a difficult situation. "
After receiving the commendation from Ada, we wanted to know more about David, and he graciously agreed to answer a few of our questions.
- How long have you worked for RTD and have you always been a bus driver?
- 23 years and I’ve always been a bus operator.
- What were you in a previous life?
- I was in heaven, in God’s bosom.
- What do you like best about your job?
- Being independent and my interactions with the public
- If you could listen to music while working, what type?
- Instrumental or contemporary jazz
- If you could deck out your bus, what style?
- High performance like an old muscle car with chrome rims, dual pipes, torch red and of course, better acceleration
- If you could change your uniform color, what color or does brown/gray go with your eyes?
- Actually I like the brown uniform.
- What type of service would you drive if given the choice and/or favorite service to drive or operate?
- SkyRide because there are less stops – I like the open road.
- What are your favorite hobbies or activities?
- Motorcycle riding and church activities
Nominate an operator of the month
Do you have a favorite RTD bus or light rail operator? Nominate them for our next Operator of the Month Award!