December 2013: Mark Laba
Each month, RTD encourages passengers to nominate a bus driver or light rail operator who goes above and beyond to make their experience memorable. This month, RTD recognizes Route BX driver, Mark Laba, who was nominated by passenger Michael Borcherding for his positive attitude and great customer service. Mark drives the BX from Market Street Station to the Boulder Transit Center.
His nomination was submitted by Michael Borcherding, who was impressed with Mark's positive attitude and great customer service.
"Hey there RTD – I wanted to send a quick note saying thanks and that your team is doing an AWESOME job. One driver in particular I would like to point out, he’s been the driver on the 6:38 a.m. BX leaving Market Street Station – he’s a tall guy, bald head, and originally from New York City – I’m not sure but I think his name is Mark. Anyway, I had been driving from LoDo to Boulder for five years and never even thought about taking the bus. I decided to give RTD a shot at the end of 2012 and haven’t even thought about going back to driving my car. It’s comfy, clean, has AC/heating, and Mark, the driver is always very pleasant and chipper at 6 a.m. One morning a young lady fell asleep in her seat while riding into Boulder. The driver knew it was her stop and walked back a couple of rows and woke her up. Needless to say she was really thankful and was able to get off the bus at her stop. Small acts of kindness like that is what makes RTD an enjoyable ride."
After receiving the commendation from Michael, we wanted to know more about Mark, and he graciously agreed to answer a few of our questions.
- How long have you worked for RTD and have you always been a bus driver?
- This coming May I will have been with the company for 5 years. I have always been a bus driver.
- What were you in a previous life?
- I lived in Brooklyn, New York all my life and drove buses in all 5 boroughs. I was also a dispatcher and supervisor for 7 years.
- What do you like best about your job?
- I like being around my co-workers and I like my supervisors. If a passenger is having a hard day, if there is anything I can do to make their day a little better gives me great satisfaction.
- If you could listen to music while working, what type?
- I like all types of music, but classical music keeps me calm and relaxed.
- If you could deck out your bus, what style?
- Vintage 1950's bus style.
- If you could change your uniform color, what color or does brown/gray go with your eyes?
- Navy blue would be nice.
- What type of service would you drive if given the choice and/or favorite service to drive or operate?
- I enjoy driving the HX to Civic Center Station morning and evening. My favorite services are HX and BX.
- What are your favorite hobbies or activities?
- Photography, I’ve lived in Colorado for 5 years and have about 8000 photos in my collection. I also enjoy road trips with lots of photo opportunities.
Nominate an operator of the month
Do you have a favorite RTD bus or light rail operator? Nominate them for our next Operator of the Month Award!