April 2014: Joe Sandoval
Each month, RTD encourages passengers to nominate a bus driver or light rail operator who goes above and beyond to make their experience memorable. This month, RTD recognizes Route 205 driver, Joe Sandoval, who was nominated by passenger Norah Charles for his friendliness and excellent customer service. Joe drives the 205 from Pearl and 3rd streets to Heatherwood Elementary School.
His nomination was submitted by Noah Charles for his friendliness and excellent customer service.
"I want to nominate Joe, one of the regular drivers on the 205 route, for an operator award. I’ve been riding the 205 for nearly three years, and he is the best driver I’ve had on that bus. He is friendly, courteous, patient, and calm in a crisis. He asks riders how their day is going, waits for people to sit before leaving, and shows excellent care for riders with special needs. I’ve noticed that even when the roads are rotten and the weather is irritating for everyone, Joe takes it with a grain of salt and makes the ride easy on commuters. I feel totally safe with him driving the bus and was happy to see him back on my route with the recent change in drivers. Thanks for considering him for an award. I’ve been a regular RTD rider for ten years, and Joe stands out as a top-notch operator."
After receiving the commendation from Norah, we wanted to know more about Joe and he graciously agreed to answer a few of our questions.
- How long have you worked for RTD and have you always been a bus driver?
- Seventeen years (2/13/97) and I’ve also been a street supervisor and revenue trainer.
- What were you in a previous life?
- A chef – I love to cook anything. I’ve also been a tax preparer, police officer, warehouseman, and handy man.
- What do you like best about driving?
- I like the personal contact, the one on one interaction with passengers, and the challenge of getting them to their destination safe AND on time.
- If you could listen to music while working, what type?
- Oldies but goodies, doowop and jazz.
- If you could deck out your bus, what style?
- I like the style but I would offer the local newspaper and donuts for my passengers.
- If you could change your uniform color, what color or does brown/gray go with your eyes?
- I would prefer black – it looks more professional, but brown DOES go with my eyes ☺
- What type of service would you drive if given the choice and/or favorite service to drive or operate?
- Local service in a 40 foot bus; the 205 and 206 are my favorite routes.
- What are your favorite hobbies or activities?
- I enjoy reading (non-fiction), working in the yard (landscaping and gardening), and cooking.
Nominate an operator of the month
Do you have a favorite RTD bus or light rail operator? Nominate them for our next Operator of the Month Award!