RTD's Title VI Policy Statement
The Regional Transportation District (RTD) operates its programs and services without regard to race, color, national origin or any other characteristic protected by law including Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.
Every department, division, and employee of RTD is responsible for carrying out RTD’s commitment to non-discrimination, including the requirements of Title VI. This includes:
- Ensuring the level and quality of transportation services are provided to all;
- Identifying and addressing, as appropriate the human health, social, economic, and environmental effects of RTD’s programs and activities on all populations;
- Promoting full and fair participation in transportation decision making;
- Providing meaningful access to RTD’s programs and services by person with limited English proficiency
For additional information on Title VI, please contact RTD's Transit Equity Manager at 303.299.6216.
Title VI Complaint Procedure
Any person who believes he or she has been excluded from participation in or denied the benefits of RTD’s programs, activities, or services due to discrimination on the basis of race, color or national origin may file a complaint with RTD. The written complaint must be filed within 180 days from the date of the alleged discrimination.
To file a complaint:
- Fill out a Title VI complaint form (PDF)
- By mail addressed to: Title VI Complaints, 1660 Blake St - FAS-73, Denver, CO 80202
- By fax addressed to: Transit Equity Manager at 303.299.2452
- By email sent to email@example.com
- Should a complainant choose to not use the complaint form, the written statement should minimally include the following:
- Complainant name, address, telephone number and any other contact information (email, fax, etc.)
- The basis of the complaint (race, color, national origin)
- Date(s) on which the alleged discriminatory event(s) occurred
- Details of the incident(s)
- Names and contact information of witnesses
- Other agencies where a complaint was filed regarding the same incident(s)
Call 303.299.6000 to request additional information about RTD’s Title VI Policy.
Once a complaint is filed, RTD will review the complaint and determine if we have jurisdiction. The complainant will receive a letter acknowledging receipt of the complaint and steps toward resolution.
RTD permits the use of a representative to file a complaint on behalf of the complainant. All communication following the complaint will be directed to the complainant’s representative primarily and the complainant secondarily.
The investigator may interview any individuals named as witnesses and any other individuals who may have information. The investigator may review relevant documentation. Failure of the complainant to respond to requests for information from the investigator may result in an administrative closure of the complaint.
Although RTD strives to promptly resolve complaints, this process will differ depending on the complexity of the complaint, the individuals involved, and other factors. Once the investigation has concluded, the complainant will receive a final written response to the complaint.
Title VI Complaint to the U.S. Department of Transportation
Individuals or organizations who believe they have been denied the benefits of, excluded from participation in, or subject to discrimination on the grounds of race, color or national origin may submit a complaint to the U.S. Department of Transportation:
Federal Transit Administration’s Office of Civil Rights
Attention: Title VI Program Coordinator
East Building, 5th Floor - TCR1200
New Jersey Ave., SE Washington, DC 20590
Further information, including the complaint form, is available at fta.dot.gov.