About the Trip Planners
We provide two Trip Planners, RTD and Google, to help you get where you’re going. The Google Trip Planner is the default Trip Planner, but you can select the between the RTD and Google Trip Planners using the radio buttons found at the top of the Trip Planner.
Trip Planner itineraries should be used as a guide for taking your trip aboard RTD transit. Service may be affected by traffic, construction or weather conditions. Since there are often multiple itineraries possible, we encourage you to check the options presented before starting your trip. Itinerary results display scheduled service only. Detours and other Rider Alerts are not reflected in the Trip Planner results. Please check Rider Alerts before starting your trip.
Entering origination and destination points
You may enter a location based on intersection, street address or landmark.
- Intersection is the default tab already selected initially.
- Enter a street name in each field.
Ex: Colfax & Broadway
- Enter only the numerical address and street name. If similar locations are found in multiple cities or counties, a list of candidates will be returned to choose a selection.
- Tip: Do not enter the city, state, suite, apartment number, etc. Your address may not be found if you enter this information.
Ex: 1600 Blake St
- Select the landmark category from the first drop list. Then select the landmark name from the second drop list.
- Tip: If you do not see the landmark you need, it may appear in a different category or it may not exist. If your landmark is not listed, please enter the street address on the address tab to plan your trip.
- Most highways can be entered in the following format:
Ex: Hwy 25 & Broadway
- Other alternative ways for entering highway names include:
- For Colorado State Highways, enter: "CO xx" where xx is the number
Ex: CO 470
- For Interstates, enter: "I-x", where x is the interstate number
- For US Highways, enter: "US xx", where xx is the US Highway number
Ex: US 85
- For County Highways, enter: 'CNTY xx', where xx is the County Highway/Route number
Ex: CNTY 6
- E470 - E470 is a special case, it MUST be entered as 'CO-E-470'
Selecting trip options
The RTD and Google Trip Planners have several options to allow more customization of your Trip Itinerary.
Walking DistanceThe RTD Trip Planner gives you the option of selecting the walking distance between the bus stop and your origination and destination points. The default is set at ¼ mile, which works fine for most trips. If the system cannot find a route with bus service within that range at that time of day, it may expand to a larger radius in order to return a trip.
If there is a high volume of buses serving the area, you can sometimes limit the results to closer route you are seeking by changing it to a 1/8 mile setting. Alternately, expanding the walking distance will often yield more route choices or different route choices.
The Google Trip Planner does not have the ability to customize walking distance preferences, but will look for all routes within 1 mile of the selected origination and destination points.
Fastest/Fewest Transfer PreferenceAn option for Fastest or Fewest Transfers is available on the RTD Trip Planner. Fastest is the default setting for criteria to plan your trip. This gives you the fastest possible route arriving or departing closest to the time you requested.
The fewest transfers selection looks for alternatives with the fewest possible transfers based on the time of departure or arrival and other criteria selected.
Changing from fastest to fewest transfers will provide you with different route options in most cases.
Pop-up blocker settings
Customers have the option to ADD www.RTD-Denver.com or www3.RTD-Denver.com as trusted sites by changing their browser's "Pop-Up Blocker Settings" OR customers can choose to turn their pop-up blocker off. Please note that the Pop-up Blocker settings may be located in a slightly different place depending on their browser. To locate the "Pop-up Blocker" on your browser:
Open: Tools > Internet Options>Privacy>Settings
(PC) Open: Tools > Options>Content
(Mac) Open: Toolbar menu >Preferences>Content
Let us help you. Submit an itinerary request form and we will email a customized trip to you within 24 – 48 hours.
For an even quicker response, call 303-299-6000