RTD’s Top 10 List for 2019
As RTD’s 50th year draws to a close, here’s a recap of another chapter in the books for the agency. I give you the top 10 list of accomplishments for RTD in 2019:
- The relaunch of the new and improved FlexRide, RTD’s microtransit service. This service connects our riders to or from our bus and rail stations. New improvements allow passengers to book their trip online.
- With our partners, we began a six-month autonomous vehicle (AV) pilot program, the route 61AV. The project’s goal was to assess the reliability and availability of an AV shuttle service in the transit environment. We were the first organization in Colorado to operate an autonomous vehicle.
- This year, we also partnered with Uber and Lyft. In the Uber app, passengers can check when the next RTD service arrives as well as buy tickets. In the Lyft app, users can see when the next bus or train arrives.
- We broke ground on the 15/15L Improvement Project. This is the first investment we’ve made on one of our busiest corridors in 30 years. This will mean better on-time performance for these routes that run on Colfax Avenue.
- We worked with our federal and local partners to have the flaggers removed from the University of Colorado A Line and B Line crossings and establish quiet zones.
- The removal of flaggers meant we could open the long-awaited G Line on April 26.
- Shortly after that, we opened our E, F, R extension in Lone Tree, thus expanding our reach throughout the Denver metro area.
- This past summer we launched LiVE, our income-based fare discount program that provides a 40 percent discount to qualifying riders.
- We began our two-year study, Reimagine RTD, which is an effort to evaluate and forecast the changing transportation needs of our region and involve you, our customers and stakeholders.
- 2019 was also the 25th anniversary of light rail, which we celebrated by handing out Hershey’s Kisses at the light rail stations where it all began: 30th & Downing and I-25 and Broadway.
Thank you to our riders, partners and stakeholders for making this a year full of milestones for the agency.