Nine-week closure of intersection at Champa and 16th to begin by Sept. 5
The intersection at Champa and 16th streets will temporarily close starting as soon as Tuesday, Sept. 5, and will remain closed for approximately nine weeks. The closure is required for the 16th Street Mall improvement activities including utility, traffic signal and lighting infrastructure installation across the intersection. Please watch for signage with closure and detour information.
The RTD Free MallRide continues to run during the 16th Street Mall Project, rerouted to 15th and 17th streets until the project is complete. The detour is currently from Wazee Street to Civic Center Station. For more information on RTD's Free MallRide detours, visit the MallRide Service Alerts webpage.
All construction activities are schedule and weather-dependent and subject to change. To see the latest updates on work, check the current project activities page on the website.
During the Champa Street intersection closure:
- Champa Street will be in a temporary two-way configuration between 15th and 17th streets to accommodate access to parking, with a U-turn required at the 16th Street Mall intersection.
- A temporary traffic signal will be installed at 17th Street.
- On-street parking will be limited along Champa Street between 15th and 17th streets.
- The west crosswalk across 16th Street will be closed, but the other three crosswalks in the intersection will be open to pedestrians.
- Access to parking structures and surface lots will be maintained.