Stop, Look, and Listen: RTD observes Rail Safety Week, Sept. 18-24
RTD is observing North American Rail Safety Week, Sept. 18-24.
Every three hours in the United States, a person or vehicle is hit by a train and more than 2,100 people are injured or killed annually in crossings and trespassing incidents in North America.
Rail Safety Week aims to bring awareness to collisions, injuries and fatalities on and around railroad tracks and highway-rail grade crossings. Safety Week organizers and partners are committed to providing educational resources and solutions to help stop track tragedies.
RTD encourages customers to prioritize rail safety not only during Rail Safety Week, but every day by paying attention to their surroundings, avoiding distractions from the use of mobile devices, and making smart choices to ensure safety.
Make sure to stop, look, and listen when you’re around tracks and rail crossings, and follow these tips:
- Cross at designated crossings & follow traffic rules
- Always look both ways before crossing rail tracks
- When a train is approaching, wait for it to pass then look for a second train in the other directio
- Never walk, bike, or drive across rail tracks when you see a moving train or red traffic signals
- Stand behind the yellow warning lines on rail platforms until the train stops and the doors open
- Never walk or bike along train tracks
- Never climb between train cars
- Never skateboard, skate, or ride a bike on the platform, stairs or escalators
- Stay away from the overhead train power line
- Trains are quiet, be on high alert
- Avoid distraction from headphones and cell phones when you are near train tracks
During Rail Safety Week, RTD’s Safety Compliance team and Denver Transit Operators will be at various stations to educate community members on track safety. See list of outreach events below:
N Line, Eastlake•124th Station
9 – 11 a.m., Monday, Sept. 18
A Line, Peoria Station
9 – 11 a.m., Tuesday, Sept. 19,
A Line, 40th•Colorado Station
9 – 11 a.m., Thursday, Sept. 21
G Line, Olde Town Arvada Station
7 – 9 a.m., Thursday, Sept. 21
N Line, Thornton Crossroads•104th Station
7 – 9 a.m., Friday, Sept. 22
RTD works closely with national and community partners throughout the year to promote safety around transit. For information on bike, bus, pedestrian and train safety, visit RTD’s Partners in Safety page and take the pledge to be safe around buses and trains.