Each month we highlight operators and other employees for their exceptional customer service. This month we recognize Jeff Wilson, for going above and beyond to make a new rider feel comfortable on transit.
“I would like to commend Jeff for being extremely helpful in my journey today. He gave me route information about regional versus local fares with compassion. He asked if I had experience with public transit and I had not. He chose to educate me and treat me as an equal human being during his explanation, I really appreciated that. I also noticed some impressive details about his driving. When passengers get on he waits for them to find a seat before moving the vehicle and is welcoming to everyone. He also drives the bus with even acceleration, cornering, and braking, never causing me to feel uncomfortable. I could tell that he both understands his duty as a driver and a passionate human being. In this world of uncertainty, other customers and I can be certain of continued safe rides from Jeff.”
After receiving the commendation, we wanted to know more about Jeff, and he graciously agreed to answer a few of our questions.
- How long have you driven for RTD, and have you always been a bus driver?
- Five years and driving the whole time. I love RTD, but really enjoy being “Papa” to my three grandsons and family. Life is good these days!
- What were you in a previous life?
- I graduated from college, worked on my MBA and worked in marketing for many years. After that, I moved into non-profit ministry and was with Promise Keepers in Boulder for 10 years. I transitioned to RTD because friend of mine in security recommended it. Initially I was planning to work part time but went full time because that is where the real need existed. I’ve been enjoying it ever since!
- What do you like best about your job?
- Customer interaction. I started working early because I got a good work ethic from my parents. I worked for a supermarket chain in Michigan where our motto was “It’s impossible to do too much for a customer.” I’ve always been customer focused as a result.
- I really enjoy mixing passengers and independence—I enjoy being helpful because I am in the business of delivering people to their destinations. But the independence is also wonderful because it is just you and the road.
- If you could listen to music while working, what type?
- When younger, it would be classic rock. Now I find myself tuning into more instrumental music, such as movie soundtrack stations. I also enjoy classical and smooth jazz. Now and then I’ll still tune into Van Halen or Boston.
- If you could deck out your bus, what style?
- It would look like a giant Colorado Rockies tour bus. I’m a big baseball fan and have been following them since the day they were awarded the franchise. I’d deck it out in purple and everything that goes with it.
- If you could change your uniform color, what color?
- I’d probably look like a baseball player with an RTD hat.
- What type of service would you drive if given the choice and/or favorite service to drive or operate?
- I would be driving out of Boulder and have been here for 35 years. My favorite route is the AB—moving luggage keeps me limber! I enjoy the customer interaction because you get a different type of clientele going to the airport. I can relate to them in a way that I am very comfortable with—you meet folks from all walks of life!