Service Workers Issue on Apple iOS
We are aware of an issue with an experimental feature known as Service Workers that is preventing use of the RTD NextRide application on some Apple iOS smart phones. We are coordinating across the agency to address it. This issue began after Apple rolled out its iOS 12 operating system updates. The issue can be intermittent. The issue stems from an experimental feature that is defaulted to “on”.
In the interim, to disable this feature, affected iPhone owners should follow this path on their phones:
Settings > Safari > Advanced > Experimental Features > Service Workers -- slide to OFF position.
Once the permanent solution on RTD's end has been implemented - we will announce the fix via our social media channels, namely Twitter and Facebook.
Real Time Information
RTD now provides real time data to app developers, allowing apps to display real time vehicle location updates and arrival predictions based on live GPS locations. Apps enabled with real time information allow you to know where your bus is and when it will arrive at your stop.
Apps enabled with real time information are marked below
- Real time arrival predictions are provided on local, regional, SkyRide and Flatiron Flyer bus routes.
- Real time vehicle location data is provided on all regular fixed-route bus routes. Live train location data will come in a future update.
- Real time arrival predictions begin 30 minutes prior to a vehicle’s scheduled departure from its origin stop.
- Real time vehicle locations are updated every 5 seconds, but the data may be older by the time it reaches your app.
- Every app handles real time information differently, some apps only display arrival predictions, some only display vehicle locations, and some display both.