Transit Police Careers
Join the RTD Transit Police Department
The RTD Transit Police Department is projected to grow by over 40 officers in a year as we expand to better serve our communities. Be part of our vision to protect transit customers and communities as we make lives better through connections across 2,400 square miles, eight counties, and 40 cities across the Denver metro region.Apply Online
Security at Union Station
Watch this video to learn more about the security updates RTD Transit Police have made at Union Station.
Dedicated to Your Safety
RTD’s Transit Police Division provides the highest quality police services by working with our RTD community and sharing our mutual responsibilities for safety, service, and problem resolution. Each of our officers prides themselves on the values of integrity, honor, and respect, proudly displayed on the patch on their shoulders.
Why you should work with us
- The Transit Police Officer position is eligible for a $4,000 signing bonus
- RTD will pay academy tuition for Lateral Officers to become certified
- (Non-certified) RTD will pay academy tuition and salary to obtain certification
- Opportunities for advancement become possible based on job performance, experience, education and position availability
- Interact with residents in the community to strengthen the relationship between the police department and the public
- Enforce laws and regulations as part of our vision to protect the public
- Be part of a growing department as we expand to better serve our communities and gain invaluable experience
- We patrol 2,400 square miles with jurisdiction in 8 counties and 40 cities across the Denver Metro region
|Academy recruit, field training phase, and probationary year
|Completion of first full year or currently POST certified
|Completion of second full year
|Completion of third full year
|Completion of fourth full year
|Starting at $104,945
|Field Training officer, two years post certified experience in law enforcement or one year as RTD police officer
|Starting at $104,945
|Supervisor officer, five years post certified experience in patrol law enforcement or three years as RTD police officer
|More than 2 years, but less than 3 years of patrol
|More than 3 years, but less than 4 years of patrol
|More than 4 years, but less than 5 years of patrol
The Transit Police Officer position is eligible for a $4,000 signing bonus. The new hire signing bonus pays out in two $2,000 installments upon two milestones: three months of continued employment and six months of continued employment. If the employee resigns employment before their one-year employment date, the employee must return or pay back the bonus.
Opportunities for advancement become possible based on job performance, experience, education and position availability.
RTD offers opportunity, stability, and on-the-job training along with a comprehensive benefits package including:
- A competitive salary with possible hiring bonus and growth potential
- Professional training/education allowances and paid in-house training programs
- Several medical, dental, and vision plan options, and fitness/wellness center
- An excellent retirement savings plan
Requirements and Certifications
- Valid Colorado Peace Officer Standards and Training certification.
- Minimum of two years patrol duty, consisting of street related duty, while employed full time by state, county, municipal, or sheriff's department.
- Proficient in all aspects of the investigations process.
- Proficiency with the criminal justice system; includes federal, state, and local law enforcement regulations
|Criminal Background Check
|Oral Board Interview
|Personal History Statement
|Job Suitable Assessment
Meet Chief Joel Fitzgerald
Dr. Joel Fitzgerald Sr. is RTD’s Chief of Police and Emergency Management, a role that carries primary responsibility for customer safety and security across the eight counties and 40 cities of the Denver Metro region in which RTD operates. He joined the agency on Aug. 22, 2022, following a nationwide search.
Commend or Complain
Have you had a positive or negative experience?
Fill out our form here. Your valuable feedback helps us meet our goal of providing safe, on-time, and reliable service to each and every customer.Submit Form