RTD Encourages Winter Bike to Work Day
The cloudy morning Friday, Feb. 9 did not prevent Denver commuters from participating in the Winter Bike to Work Day, an annual event that aims to promote an environmentally and cost-friendly way to go to work.
Partnering with the city of Denver and the Denver Regional Council of Governments, the RTD team was present at the Civic Center Park in downtown Denver, encouraging the 200 cyclists who stopped by and handing out coffee, burritos, and mini muffins. RTD also provided information about the Bike-n-Ride program. RTD commuter rail, light rail and buses have either bike and e-bike racks or designated zones where bicyclists can hold them during the ride.
Here are some winter biking tips:
- Layer up, starting with a moisture-wicking-base layer
- Protect extremities. Cover feet and fingers, which can be susceptible to colder temperatures quickly.
- Use hand signals to communicate your moves to drivers and pedestrians
- Ensure your mobile phone is charged and pack a charging block for extended journeys
- Refrain from using headphones, as music can reduce the noise of approaching vehicles
- Be slow and steady! Avoid slipping on ice by pedaling with caution.
- Stay hydrated. Bring your water bottle with you.
Learn more tips and about the RTD Bike-n-Ride program by visiting here.