At RTD, we are stewards of our riders, our communities and our environment. We are dedicated to serve the public and meet the transit needs for our riders and communities. We do this by building new infrastructure, providing new, clean and safe vehicles, listening to your concerns and suggestions, and striving to provide our riders the best transit experiences for rail and bus transportation.
Learn more about what we do each and every day fulfill our mission to meet our constituents’ present and future public transportation needs by providing safe, clean, reliable, courteous, accessible, and cost-effective service throughout the District.
Keeping Our Riders Safe
The safety and security of our riders is a top priority. We have implemented several measures to improve your security while riding RTD.
- Our transit police are present on our bus and rail vehicles, at stations, bus stops, and our Park-n-Ride facilities.
- All of our buses, rail vehicles, stations, and Park-n-Rides are equipped with surveillance cameras and monitored 24/7 at our high tech Security Command Center.
- Our Transit Watch program provides you direct communication with our transit police to report suspicious activity. This includes our Transit Watch app to help you report activity directly from your phone and anonymously. Learn More Transit Watch
With trains and buses always on the move, it’s important to educate our riders and public about the importance of safety on and around our transit systems. Our safety programs are designed to educate and improve the safety of our riders when using the public transit system.
- Partners in Safety is a collaborative effort between RTD, riders, and the general public to promote a safer environment around RTD vehicles. Learn More About Partners in Safety
Protecting Our Environment
Keeping Mother Nature Happy
At RTD, we are committed to leaving a clean planet to our children. RTD has been a leader in implementing programs like gas emissions reduction, clean air initiatives, energy conservation, and renewable energy. Our goal is to improve air quality of the Mile High City.
We have established sustainability policies and guidelines to foster sustainability in all aspects of RTD activities. We also have implemented specific environmental programs including:
- Bus emissions inspection
- Clean fuel
- Electric Free MallRide shuttles
- Engine replacement/upgrading
- Freon recovery
- New parts cleaning system
- New vehicle paint and improved painting techniques
- Spill containment units
- Stormwater management
Transit Oriented Development (TOD) Program
RTD is a key player in the implementation of Transit Oriented Communities, a program aimed at developing a pedestrian-oriented environment in places accessible by public transit. Our roles focus primarily on station area improvements, addressing community needs, long term planning coordination, and station redevelopment efforts. Learn more about TOD
It takes a village... to make our environment cleaner. RTD launched Adopt-A-Stop Program to encourage the public to cooperate with RTD in keeping bus stops clean. Get involved in our Adopt-a-Stop program
Providing a Reliable Service
State of Good Repair
Proactive maintenance is essential for delivering safe and reliable transit service to our customers. Our State of Good Repair program is a preventative maintenance program designed to optimize our system to better serve our communities. Using an extensive asset management approach, we are able to effectively manage and maintain our assets and infrastructure in order to maximize benefits, reduce risk, and provide quality assurance for our customers.
Sharing Our Knowledge
With baby boomers nearing retirement, transit agencies have to find ways to pass their transit professionals knowledge and expertise to the next generation. Peer transit agencies across the nation and world have expressed a great deal of interest in RTD's successes and lessons learned in project delivery, finance, security, workforce development and operations. We have gathered best practices to share with our peers as well as with the youngest generation of RTD's employees.